Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Children of Men

I didn't think this was as much of a downer as I'd heard it was going to be, if that makes sense. I also didn't think the plot held together all that well -- I was kind of hoping for some sort of explanation on what happened to the fertility rates, and why animals seemed to still be being born. I did like the implication that there were more animals around because people wanted to fill the void left by the lack of children. But it bothers me that I might just be making that up because the backstory was left out.

I was worried about the cinematography because the movie uses that "dystopian future" color palette that usually accompanies artificially sped-up action scenes that have a lot of frames taken out so people flip around and kind of strobe, but it turned out they were just using the palette without the other gimmicks. In fact, I loved the camerawork, although it was so flashy that I spent some time trying to figure out how on earth they shot certain scenes. There was also one scene that felt a lot like a videogame, specifically Half-Life 2 or possibly this one X-Box 360 game where you run down a city street while things blow up around you. I don't remember its name, but the demo was pretty good.

It wouldn't have been my favorite movie of 2006, but it probably would have been fifth or sixth on the list.

No comments: