Saturday, May 19, 2007

The General

I like Alpha Video as much as the next guy. In fact, probably more, since a lot of people don't dig on totally forgotten serials the way I do.

Unfortunately, I don't care for their version of Buster Keaton's classic. It's partly the transfer -- I've gotten spoiled and am no longer used to seeing completely unrestored prints. But it's mostly the music. They just slopped on any old public domain stuff they could find, so the train chases are saddled with the Blue Danube, which makes everyone think of either spaceships or ice skating. We tried turning the music off, but then it was hard to pay attention to the movie, what with our laptops being right there, chock-full of Internetty goodness.

It's a fine movie, of course, although I personally rate it a bit below City Lights.

No comments: