Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai

I like movies that arbitrarily mix genres (or invent entire genres out of whole cloth like Six String Samurai), because a lot of the time, they point up the underlying similarities. Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai takes a samurai and puts him in a mob film and sees what happens. It also makes the samurai a homeless black guy, but Forrest Whitaker is too good to be nailed down to a stereotype like that.

The plot is pretty basic, and I choose to ignore it. As far as I'm concerned, the real conflict is Ghost Dog's quest to live his life as a samurai in a world without honor. His "master" is a venal little creep, a sub-boss in a pretty anemic mafia. But the masters of the real samurai were probably much the same, right?

I think I enjoyed the world of the movie more than the movie itself, if that makes sense. I wish I lived in a world full of homeless samurai and French-speaking ice cream men and people building boats on top of buildings.

No comments: