Friday, May 18, 2007

Smokin' Aces

This was as stupid as I expected, but it wasn't stupid enough. I knew from the trailer that it wouldn't make any sense, but it wasn't enthusiastic about it the way I was hoping. Instead, scene after boring scene rolled by while plot laboriously unfolded itself without, I suspect, the benefit of a script.

The only entertainment came from wondering how they got real actors in this thing. Ryan Reynolds and Jeremy Piven I can understand. Ben Affleck, well, he doesn't have any sense to begin with. Curtis "Booger" Armstrong knows better than to turn down movies. But Ray Liotta? Andy Garcia? What's going on here?

I did like that the movie was willing to kill people off suddenly; I just wanted it to happen sooner, and to a larger percentage of the cast.

No comments: