Friday, May 4, 2007

Vanishing Point

I'm going to level with you: I'm not sure I "get" Vanishing Point. I like a lot of the individual shots, but I didn't really lock in to the movie as a whole. I mean, I understand the principle behind a blank-slate main character and a nihilistic ending (incidentally, between this and Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry, I'm starting to think it's a bad idea to go on an endless drive while chased by the cops), but I think the real issue is that I'm not much of a "car guy". I mean, my car was made in Korea, so I don't really identify with the whole 1970-Challenger ethos.

I did enjoy the long-shots of cars driving, because they actually shot the movie where it was set, so although it sort of looks like a whole lot of desert, it's different desert. I've driven along those deserts! Well, I did it when they had proper highways, but the principle's the same. I'm not a car guy, but I've done my share of driving twelve-plus hours. And I approve, in theory, of the audacity involved in shots of a tiny little car almost obscured by heat-waves coming off a desert. But I don't know if I'll be watching the movie again.

I will, however, be watching the terrible 1997 remake. The way I figure it, that'll show me the good things about the original by leaving them out.

No comments: