Saturday, June 9, 2007

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

I would like to emphasize that I don't enjoy bad movies in an "ironic" way. It might just be that I've seen them too many times, but I honestly enjoy the weird stilted dialogue, the unconvincing special effects, and the cheat sets. When I watch Robot Monster, I'm not chuckling about how bad it is. I mean, I am, but I'm also enjoying the movie on its own merits.

See, I think that creativity, in and of itself, is interesting. And when you've got an Ed Wood following his dream and making a movie that's not like anything else, it's interesting even if it's also totally incompetent. And incompetence can also be interesting, since sometimes you see a movie that gets things wrong that you wouldn't think anyone could screw up.

So anyway, Lost Skeleton of Cadavra is a tribute to the terrible black and white science fiction movies of the 1950s. And it's always dangerous to make a movie like this, because you can't do camp on purpose. But this one works. The weird stilted dialogue is exaggerated just enough to be funny (to me anyway) without overdoing it. And Animala is worth watching the movie just by herself. She's both sexy and hilarious. "Rowr" and "Always agree" are great catchphrases.

I think Lost Skeleton of Cadavra is mostly based on Robot Monster, since it's got that shot of a monster in a silly costume carrying an unconscious woman. The cave of Cadavra is, I think, the same one as in Robot Monster. And so on. Obviously, there's also some Plan 9 in there, as well as a touch of This Island Earth and possibly even some things that aren't even references to anything.

Incidentally, the interior of the spaceship is supposed to look cheap by using pegboard as one of the walls. I am obliged to point out that if you go watch the pilot movie of the modern Battlestar Galactica, you'll see the same kind of wall used as the wall of Starbuck's cell.

No comments: