Saturday, June 30, 2007

Quintet

I've never seen a Robert Altman movie I didn't like! Well, now I have, I guess. What I like about Altman movies is all the overlapping dialogue and meandering plots with clever dialogue. But this has hardly any dialogue and moves directly from point A to point B. It does this extremely slowly, because the floors were all iced over and no one could walk very quickly.

It's possible I was impatient because I could tell it was a postapocalyptic Ice Age within the first ten seconds of the movie, but it took fifteen minutes for the exposition to catch up. Likewise with the "twist" that the game in the movie (which was sort of a "death-boardgame of the future") is responsible for the mysterious deaths; I think I'm just too used to the science fiction tropes to be surprised by them.

No comments: