Friday, December 28, 2007

2007 Movies

Here’s the movies of 2007 that I saw in 2007. I didn’t see all of them in theaters, of course, what with DVDs being so convenient, especially with my cool new televisions. I do this every year – here’s my 2006 list, although it doesn't include 2006 movies that I saw in 2007. This doesn't seem like it should be this complicated to explain, does it? I just go to this site and make a note of all the movies I've seen and then I order them so that the ones I liked the best are at the top.

Note that "the ones I liked the best" are not necessarily "the ones I thought were the best". Sometimes I enjoy bad movies and don't enjoy good movies. Deal with it!

Category 1

1. Grindhouse
2. The Host
3. Ratatouille
4. The King of Kong: A Fistful of Dollars
5. Superbad
6. No Country for Old Men
7. Darkon

This is the category of movies I really liked, to the point of actively recommending them to people on the street. I really, really liked Grindhouse, to the point of seeing it three times in theaters (the best one was at the Drive-In, of course) and watching both of the separate movies on DVD when they came out. The Host is a lot of fun, but it's best to approach it as a Monster Movie rather than a Horror Movie. Also, it's funny, which bothered some people.

Ratatouille was the first Pixar movie with an ad campaign that didn't actively drive me away. It didn't much make me want to see it either, but at least it wasn't like the Finding Nemo ads, which focused largely on the turtles who talked like stoned surfers. Incidentally, I firmly believe that Ratatouille's whole premise was based on the scene in Muppets Take Manhattan where the rats are in the kitchen.

King of Kong and Darkon are both documentaries about people I recognize. I may not know the actual people involved, but harcore videogame enthusiasts and Live-Action Roleplayers are both near and dear to my heart. King of Kong is higher because the subjects are so clearly drawn.

There's a chance I liked Superbad more than I otherwise would have because I saw it at the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin. On the other hand, it's really funny and does things I didn't expeect.

And meanwhile No Country for Old Men is just really, really good.

Category 2

8. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
9. Hot Fuzz
10. The Simpsons Movie
11. Transformers
12. 300
13. Hairspray
14. Knocked Up
15. Sweeney Todd

These are the movies that I liked while I was watching them, but felt vaguely dissatisfied when they were over. In the case of Pirates of the Caribbean and Hot Fuzz, I probably just had really high expectations.

Category 3

16. Zodiac
17. Ghost Rider
18. I Am Legend
19. 1408
20. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
21. Stardust
22. The Golden Compass
23. Reno 911!: Miami
24. Spider-Man 3
25. Air Guitar Nation

I didn't hate these movies, but I wasn't crazy about them either. Most of them had aspects I enjoyed (Ghost Rider, for example, seemed to know how ridiculous it was, which is why I liked it better than Spider-Man 3, which had no idea), but didn't really grab me.

Category 4

26. The Number 23
27. Stomp the Yard
28. Resident Evil: Extinction
29. Dr. Bronner's Magic Soapbox
30. Smokin' Aces
31. Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters
32. Halloween

Man, I hated these movies. Halloween turned out to be a terrible movie to see at the Drive-In, since the last half of the movie was so dark we literally had no idea what was happening on the screen, so it's not really the movie's fault. I knew the Aqua Teen movie was going to be bad, because even though I'm an ATHF fan, I thought the last season suggested that the writers were having trouble filling fifteen-minute episodes. Still, I can't believe they actually decided to use the Cybernetic Ghost of Christmas Past from the Future in a major role. Smokin' Aces was pretty much as bad as you'd expect it to be, although it has a pretty funny scene involving Ben Affleck's mouth. I had high hopes for Dr. Bronner's Magic Soapbox, but it turns out that after you learn that Dr. Bronner was a German guy with a history of mental problems and a penchant for talking like a hippie, there's still a lot of boring movie to fill up.

Resident Evil: Extinction was exactly as bad as I thought it would be and didn't even have the grace to be interestingly terrible. Stomp the Yard was just like, say, Drumline, except that "stomping the yard" isn't as interesting as drum corps. Plus, the main character was a huge jerk the whole time and I saw no reason to root for him.

I would have like The Number 23 more if it had been explicit in its debt to Robert Anton Wilson, and if it had made any sense. Also, that book that Jim Carrey was reading couldn't have been more than 100 pages, so he must have been an awfully slow reader.

So there you go. I'm glad that I didn't hate more movies than I loved. I'm sad that I didn't get around to seeing Across the Universe or Tekkonkinkreet, but on the other hand, I also kind of want to see Dragon Wars and National Treasure. Oh, and I don't guarantee I won't see Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem before the end of the year, but we can probably assume that'll go in Category 3.

No comments: