Saturday, December 29, 2007

Bloodhounds of Broadway

Hmm. I was hoping this would be fun, since it's a Damon Runyon musical. You know, like Guys and Dolls. Except that for a Runyon story, it's got a lot more of the hillbilly girl (played by Mitzi Gaynor, and with a last name of "Stackerlee" for no earthly reason) than it does of colorful gangsters who talk funny.

It's not that I object to tapdancing throwdowns -- well, I kind of do, actually. But even if I liked them, that's not what I'm looking for in a Damon Runyon movie. More gangsters and weird grammar, please!

Also, this is a ridiculously colorful movie. I kept thinking it had been colorized, but no: they actually got that guy a bright green fedora to wear. Some costume designers were entirely too excited by Technicolor.

No comments: