Friday, December 28, 2007

The Bourne Supremacy

I think I'm going to have to give up on Matt Damon. I've never seen any reason for people to think he's a Great Actor, and watching this movie (which I was told was one of the main reasons) didn't give me a clue. He's dour and expressionless the whole time, and I like my actors to occasionally register an emotion or two.

Don't get me wrong, the lack of expression works for the character, but I'm pretty sure practically any actor in Hollywood could have done as good a job. It's the action scenes that are what actually move the plot along, and this is one of the movies that's heavy on the ShakyCam where not only can't you see whether it's the actor or a stunt double, you can't really see what's going on. I really hate that, because it takes me completely out of the movie. It's not as bad as in I Am Legend, where the camera becomes Shaky a reliable twenty seconds before every fight scene starts, nor did I find it as obnoxious as in Batman Begins, where I frequently couldn't identify which of the characters getting punched was Batman, but it's still not my favorite was of conveying Action.

So I guess this is the Future of Action Movies. Muted color palettes, handheld digital cameras, blah blah blah. Why can't more movies be like Banlieue 13?

No comments: