Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Terminator

In the wake of the new Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, it occurred to me that I hadn't seen a real Terminator movie in a very long time. I mean, I saw Terminator 3: Rise of the Machinesa few years ago, but since I remember absolutely nothing of what happened in it (I think the plot involved computers in some way, and maybe some animal tranquilizers unless I'm thinking of a different movie), I don't think it counts. And anyway, the TV show is supposed to be taking place after the second movie.

Now, I'm pretty familiar with Terminator 2: Judgment Day (although I did have to check IMDB to find out what meaningless phrase comes after the colon) becase I once wrote a recap of it for Mighty Big TV (now Television Without Pity, and my recap isn't there anymore), but I've never really watched the first movie to the degree it deserves. I mean, say what you want about Titanic, but James Cameron made some really good movies back in the mid-80s. I don't know how I can be so obsessed with Aliens and not watch Terminator all the time, considering that they share three actors. Okay, Bill Paxton is only in it briefly, but still.

Obviously, I enjoyed it. Schwarzenegger's great in it, Linda Hamilton's great, Lance Henriksen's great -- everything's great. And I like how the metal skeleton moves around like it's a Ray Harryhausen skeleton. Also, this is the only time that "I'll be back" doesn't sound forced, which is nice.

2 comments:

Dimestore Lipstick said...

Lance Henriksen? In T2?

Monty Ashley said...

No, in the first Terminator.