Monday, February 4, 2008

Hogfather

Well, this was entirely acceptable! I was a bit nervous about a live-action Terry Pratchett adaptation, but they didn't cutesy it up --when the villain kills people in the book, he kills them in the movie. Excellent. The various actors were wel chosen as well, and I now have a much better mental image of Teatime, not to mention a better handle on how he wants people to pronounce his name.

Apparently, they're next doing The Colour of Magic which worries me, since it's not nearly as good as the later Discworld books. I thought it was a good idea to just grab Hogfather out from the middle of the run, and I assumed they'd just keep doing that, maybe doing Witches Abroad or Guards, Guards next, since they don't really require earlier chapters. And meanwhile, The Colour of Magic (while still funny) is basically just three fantasy parodies stuck together. And Pratchett's done better work since then. I guess if it means they're planning on doing all thirty (!) in a row, I'm in favor of the plan, but it sounds awfully ambitious.

1 comment:

Jason said...

The Colour of Magic adaptation combines both The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic. Which makes sense when you consider they are both halves of the same story.

After The Colour of Magic it looks like The Mob will be doing Sourcery. To me that sounds like a step up again in the fx departments. It could be very interesting.