Sunday, February 24, 2008

Michael Clayton

I wasn't planning on doing one of those last-minute pushes to see Oscar-nominated movies, but then we were in the grocery store, and I saw this thing called a MovieCube, which is some sort of automated DVD vending machine where you rent a movie for a dollar a day. It's kind of an interesting idea, and the first day was free, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I didn't much care for the movie, but that's probably just because I'm not really crazy about taut legal thrillers. I kept wishing they'd shut up about Clayton's personal problems, because I kept wanting to pretend it was "The Wolf, the character that Harvey Keitel played in Pulp Fiction. But I don't think The Wolf ever needed to beg for money. Also, I'd just watched a short documentary on the Erin Brockovich case, so the notion of a big company poisoning ground water felt a little unoriginal. I mean, I realize that these "ripped from the headlines" plots always have that problem, but, well, there you go.

George Clooney was fine, but he really only had one facial expression the whole time. Underplaying is all well and good, but I felt he didn't really do much.

When I was done with the movie, I just strolled down the block to the grocery store. From there, it was a simple task to slide the DVD back into the slot. At which point the machine refused to recognize the disc and told me to call customer service. I guess there are still a few bugs in the system.

No comments: