Saturday, March 8, 2008

Conan the Barbarian

I think there's a chance I've never seen Conan the Barbarian before. That seems weird, because it came out in 1982, which is a time at which I was watching every fantasy movie available. Three years later, I watched Legend! On purpose!

So now, in honor of Gary Gygax's death, I finally got around to watching what is arguably the best Sword & Sorcery movie, if you don't count the Lord of the Rings movies. I realize it's not technically a D&D movie, but Robert E. Howard was a big influence on D&D, so it pretty much counts.

It's a fine movie. Schwarzenegger is deployed perfectly; saying almost nothing, but flexing his mighty thews a lot. There are several shots which look like they're taken directly from the works of Frank Frazetta. And that's because they were! So it was good, cheesy fun.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

What? What? Better than the "Ator" movies with Miles O'Keefe? Better than "Deathstalker"? Better than the "Gor"....*coughcoughcough* Okay, I wouldn't have been able to do that with a straight face.