Saturday, March 29, 2008

Nashville

Why haven't I ever seen Nashville? That seems odd, doesn't it? I mean, Robert Altman is one of my favorite directors, this is one of is Greatest Films, it all seems to fall together. And yet, this is the first time I've ever watched it. Weird.

I have to say, it's very long and, er, Altman-y. It's one of those movies where you get excited if two characters are accidentally in the frame at the same time. And there are three hours of people wandering around apparently at random, so it's important to relax into it and not get excited about the idea of a plot or anything. Having said that, the last ten minutes, when most of it comes together, is really good. The character who spends the movie moving around silently and enigmatically never does anything, but I kind of like that. I also like that he's Jeff Goldblum, but it's probably a coincidence that he turned out to be somebody. Like how the Mysterious Blonde in American Graffiti turns out to be Suzanne Somers.

Anyway, I enjoyed it but I don't know if I'm going to put in the requisite time to see it enough times to really form a firm opinion on whether it's worthy of the AFI Top 100 Movies list. If I'm going to watch characters wander around and mumble a lot, I prefer them to be characters that I instantly love and enjoy almost every word they say, like in M*A*S*H and Popeye.

No comments: