Sunday, April 6, 2008

Hard Target

God help me, I love Hard Target. I love all of its ridiculous John Woo slow-motion close-ups, random dove appearances, and explosions. I love the John-Claude Van Damme kicking and even the stringy mullet. It's fun, is what I say, and what's more, it's the kind of fun I enjoy.

Now, I admit there are some things that are a little unrealistic. Like the time Van Damme fires a pistol forty or fifty times and then tucks it in his waistband -- shouldn't the barrel be kind of hot? Or Wilford Brimley's performance as a moonshining, arrow-shooting, horse-riding Cajun. It's actually a terrific performance, but it's hard to get away from the fact that it's Wilford Brimley, you know? But the few flaws do not stand up to the general awesomeness you get when there's no one to tell John Woo it might not be a good idea to have the final explosive shootout in the warehouse where they store Mardi Gras floats.

Pretty much all the acting comes form Lance Henriksen, who spends most of the movie looking vexed in slow motion. He's great too. The whole movie's great. And silly. But mostly great.

No comments: