Saturday, June 14, 2008

Dog Day Afternoon

Hey, this really is a good movie! I'd always heard that it was, and I was quite pleased that it lived up to the claims. Al Pacino is really good as a bank robber who's out of his depth almost immediately. And John Cazale (Fredo from the Godfather movies -- did you know that he was only in five features and all five of them were nominated for Best Picture?) is great.

It's very much a movie of the 1970s, and I mean that in the best possible way. You don't see movies on this kind of film stock anymore, you know?

Oh, and this is one of many classic movies of the era that I mostly recognize from the Mad Magazine parody. It seems like an odd movie to show up in Mad, now that I think about it.

2 comments:

Tom the Dog said...

I did know that of John Cazale! Best batting average of any movie actor ever -- five pretty much perfect movies, and that's it. What a shame he died so young.

Anonymous said...

I saw this movie at a drive-in with a friend and her parents when I was 9 years old. Talk about age-inappropriate!

It taught me that cops are liars and that Al Pacino is hot even if he's yelling and semi-gay. It's a classic.

And I'll have to remember that about John Cazale, for when it comes up on Final Jeopardy.