Saturday, April 18, 2009

My Sweet Audrina

Hey! So I'm still doing the V.C. Andrews Challenge to read eleven V.C. Andrews books in 2009 and also post about them. Although since I've only done Flowers in the Attic and it's already April, you might argue that I'm a little behind. But here's something you haven't considered: shut up! I'll do it! Get off my back, maaan!

Okay, so My Sweet Audrina. It's not part of a series like all the other V.C. Andrews books. I'm pretty sure that's because V.C. just threw ever random plot twist she had available into the book. But she doesn't trust the reader to pick up on weirdness, so Audrina is constantly pointing out how weird this all is. "How come I don't know how I old I am? What's wrong with my memory? Ghosts? Huh? What?"

The ending is spectacularly unsatisfying. After discovering the Big Twist that her parents didn't really have a previous daughter named Audrina and there were the rapes and also a couple of murders and everyone's been lying to her all her life, Audrina is all set to leave. She's going to walk out the door and maybe go try to start a life somewhere apart from all these crazy murdering rapists. And then she doesn't! She basically shrugs and says "Well, they're my crazy smothering mind-controlling lunatics and I'll stay with them."

Okay. That's two V.C. Andrews books. I have to pick up the pace here.

7 comments:

Kay said...

I read many, many VC Andrews books with some friends last year. Like 5 series and My Sweet Audrina. I may never recover.

Rachel said...

Is that the one where she ends up dating/married to the guy who raped her and that guy's mom doesn't have any legs? I think I read that book for the first time in 6th grade and it is still the weirdest thing I have ever read. My sympathies, Monty! I will have a drink for you, since you surely need one or six. :-)

Taren said...

It's pretty bad, huh? I'm not a fan of this one (and I feel bad about it since the real VCA actually wrote it) since at times it doesn't even pretend to make sense. I can (and do) make fun of some of the more crazy aspects of these books, but a nine year old being raped and then brainwashed doesn't exactly bring the funny, you know? Oh and no worries about being behind on the challenge -my co-creator, Steph, hasn't even started yet!

Jennifer said...

I like that all of the sick stuff is in one book rather than a 5-book series. Crazy good times with this one.

JenH said...

Wow. Other people know this book. Everything but the evil twin in this one, and it just always stuck with me.

JenH said...

And really, you have to do all the Dollangangers. Then pick from the others. that's the base for everything.

daisy said...

this is for Rachel: gurl, she does NOT mary the guy who raped her. the guys dat raped her called him to hang out and he was exited dat the "cool kids" wanted to hang out with him so he went along. The told him to hide behind the bushes, so he did. but then he saw that audrina was coming andt what they were doing to her and instead of helping he went to go get help, but it was too late. {he and Audrina were friends}