Thursday, August 6, 2009

Cry-Baby

There's a great movie theater in Seattle called Central Cinema. Not only does it serve food but it shows random cool movies. It's going to have a Street Fighter marathon, and you can't get more "indie theater" than that. That's the sort of thing that Quentin Tarantino is always babbling about right there.

Not that I saw Street Fighter there. No, I saw a movie much more dear to my heart: Cry-Baby.



Look. I love this movie. Practically every line makes me giggle with glee. It's easily my favorite John Waters movie, and it's right up there for my favorite Johnny Depp movie as well. If you're a movie theater and you want me to like you, I recommend finding a way to show Cry-Baby on a big screen.

It's 19 years old, so it's easy to forget how weird this movie was when it came out. Johnny Depp was "the pretty-boy from 21 Jump Street" and all of a sudden he was doing a movie with Crazy John Waters, who nobody quite trusted to be a "real" director yet. Depp kept claiming that he wanted to break out of the generic matinee idol roles, but nobody believed him. After this, he did Edward Scissorhands, Benny and Joon, and What's Eating Gilbert Grape, and people were forced to accept him at his word that he'd rather do weirdo quirky roles. But at the time, this was the quirkiest anyone had ever seen him. And he's terrific in it.

This time out, I particularly enjoyed Susan Tyrrell as Ramona Ricketts. I saw her recently in Night Warning, and she's just crazy, over-the-top great in that.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love love love this movie! (I can't stand that the video version doesn't include the full bunny hop scene).

One of my favorite lines is when Uncle Belvedere (and how much fun is it that Iggy Pop is in the movie?) announces that today's "a special day for me and your grandmother...we've been together for ten whole years!" I don't know how many times I'd seen the movie before I made the family connection. (Okay, terrible pun, I apologize.)

-Sybylla

"My mother couldn't even spell but they fried her too!"

kim said...

Oh man, I love this movie. It was my first introduction to John Waters - I randomly came across it on cable one afternoon when I was about 14, and I remember being both completely baffled and totally enthralled. I watched it again many years later (after I'd seen several other Waters films), thinking that, like everything else I loved at 14, it would be really lame and cheesy in retrospect. And yet, it was not.

Sara said...

My local theater does the random movie ting too. They also serve food and liquor. Lots of liquor.

DeeJay said...

I just hate that this is getting the Broadway treatment. Especially after the debacle that was the "Hairspray" movie of the broadway bastardization.

SouthernTippi said...

Okay, now I'm going to be singing "Please Mr. Jailer" all day. I absolutely love Rachel Sweets's voice (she did the vocals for Amy Locane).

Monty Ashley said...

I also love Rachel Sweet. I have an autographed picture from when she had a show on the Comedy Channel!