Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Missed Touchstones Week: There's Something About Mary

The problem with the idea of spending a week watching movies I've never seen is that sometimes, there's a reason I didn't watch these movies. This is one of those cases. I knew perfectly well I wasn't going to like There's Something About Mary. And I didn't. Frankly, that wasn't that interesting.

This is the movie that makes everyone think Cameron Diaz is hot, right? Because she isn't, really. She seems very nice, and she has a very pleasant smile. But in later movies, I've come to the conclusion that she's kind of weirdly shaped. Sorry about that. I admit she looks fantastic here, though.

I continue to like about a third of Ben Stiller movies. I like your Zoolanders and Mystery Men, and I'm surprisingly fond of Reality Bites. But this feels more like the Meet the Parents/Fockers Ben. I guess I like Angry Ben more than Frustrated, Stammering Ben.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned this movie is really quite unpleasant. Unpleasant things happen to unpleasant people for no reason other than that people laugh when they're startled. And I'd already heard about all the "shocking moments", so they weren't even all that shocking. It didn't work for me at all. Blah.

6 comments:

Chris Rywalt said...

Am I your only reader?

I like this series. It's like the AV Club's "Better Late Than Never" only shorter and therefore easier to digest.

I liked There's Something About Mary but I saw it before Ben Stiller morphed from being a hilarious funny guy along the lines of his dad into an angry, screeching, unfunny simian. When this movie came out I only knew him, I think, from his short-lived and absolutely hilarious TV series on Fox. So I was willing to go along with him.

You're right about Cameron Diaz, too. I think it was during "In Her Shoes" -- in which there are very many close-ups of her face -- when I realized Diaz is a little odd looking. Her nose has clearly been broken badly at least once. And her complexion is less than optimal. But obviously she works for a lot of guys, and I think she's adorable mostly due to her acting.

It's funny how many actresses appear and are hailed as the Next Great Hot Chick but later turn out to be at least a little peculiar looking. Remember how hot everyone thought Teri Hatcher was? But she's gangly and her eyes don't match. Or Jeri Ryan -- who was on Law & Order SVU a couple of weeks back -- beloved of so many sci-fi geeks but really kind of manly.

Not to say that any of these women are less than wonderful, of course. Just a little...off.

Erica said...

I've never been a fan of There's Something About Mary. That type of comedy makes me cringe, and I hate cringing. It's like watching the bad guys in Home Alone get burned or step on nails - I end up hiding my eyes and wondering why the hell I'm watching the movie at all. That said, "Unpleasant things happen to unpleasant people for no reason other than that people laugh when they're startled" is my favourite tweet-length movie review ever (even if I don't laugh when I'm startled).

Reality Bites is one of my all-time favourites and I have no idea why. It's entirely possible that I love it because Ethan Hawke gets to deliver some great "screw you, Ben Stiller" lines.

Sharon said...

I'm not a fan of the movie, either, but the real reason I'm commenting is that you are the first person I've ever come across who admits that Cameron Diaz isn't a great beauty! I've been saying that for years - she's okay looking, but I remember once reading that she made a list of all-time, classic beauties, and I just didn't see that AT ALL. Of course, I know it's all subjective, but usually I can at least SEE what everyone else gets excited about, even if I'm not personally into a particular person's looks, but Cameron's beauty has always eluded me.

Chris Rywalt said...

I think part of Cameron's appeal is her (apparent) personality -- she seems positive and bouncy. And don't forget her body, which is pretty okay.

Monty Ashley said...

But her body *isn't* "pretty okay". It's frankly weird-looking, if you ask me.

Robert Hutchinson said...

Have not seen "There's Something About Mary".

Am not sure what to make of the "these famous women don't look right" discussion.